Car window tinting is a thin laminated film usually installed to the exterior or interior of glass surfaces in boats, exteriors, and interiors of houses and buildings, automobiles, etc. This material is made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET), it belongs to the thermoplastic polymer family, because of its tensile strength, ability to accept embedded and surface applied treatments.
They are majorly grouped into several categories by their make up constituents (pigmented, ceramic, nano or pigmented), by their purpose (buildings, automotive), and by their performance (safety and security, sunlight control, privacy) while professionals should do the installations.
Tinted glasses uses
Tinted glasses can be used for varieties of purposes, but the most prominent of them are as follows:
- For heat reduction: It helps in keeping the sun’s heat out of the house when the glass is coated with low-emissivity substance on the outer surface of the glass.
- For privacy reasons: Staying inside a property covered by tinted glass offers the occupants and ample chance to see what is happening in the outer world and at the same time guarantee their privacy by hindering outsiders to see what is going on inside the property.
- For safety reasons: Some tinted glass can hold when broken, the tinted film applied on the surface of the glasses can hold the broken particles together and thereby stopping the intruder from gaining further access into the property.
Buyers Guide – 3M Automotive Window Film
Precautions and Installation Guide for Tinted glasses
For car window tinting to be installed on any property, there are some sets of precautions and guidelines to be followed strictly to get the perfect outcome desired. Below are the listed procedures which have to adhere to strictly:
- Make sure the needed tools are available before starting the process. The tools include a Measuring tape, spray bottle, scraper blade, application card, knife, and squeegee).
- Do not make use of any cleaning solutions that have ammonia as constitutes before and after installation.
- Make sure the surface of the glass cleanliness is near perfection (this step is very important).
- Fill the spray bottle firstly with clean water (avoid water with dirty particles at all cost)
- You can make use of water and slip solution.
- Start your work with the smaller glass and progress to the bigger ones. It makes your work easier.
- Handle the film with utmost care.
- When the surface of the glass is too large, there is a need to get extra hands.
- And last, make sure the work is done in a dust free area.
- Measure the Glass: Carefully measure the sizes of all the glasses to be used before cutting the film to be applied. Make use of a clean surface to cut the film into size and also remember to leave an allowance of 2-5cm film on all sides of the glasses when cutting.
- Clean the glass: Clean the glass surface as much as possible near achievable perfection. Make use of slip liquid (water mixed with liquid concentrate) inside your spray bottle to clean the glass surfaces and frames around the glass. Make sure your glass is sparkling clean before applying the film.
- Apply the film: Make sure there is enough moisture from the spray bottle on the glass surface before applying the film. Peel off the liner and film in the opposite direction. And spray the surface of the film once the liner is removed.
- Fix the firm to the glass surface: As soon as the film is on the glass with it overlapping edges evenly equal on all sides of the glasses (the wastage allowance given) it is now the right time to fix the film on the glass surface. Start spraying the surface of the film with the spray bottle and take up your squeegee to extract water from under the film.
- Trimming the film to size: After the water has been pushed out, pick up your cutting knife and start cutting the excess film along the edges of the glass (make sure your cutting knife is very sharp).
After the film has been trimmed to size, it is now time to chase out all the water from under the film. And if spear appears on the edge of the film, make use of application card to push out the spears slowly.…Read More